Recent project activities BioC has been involved in
- Co-firing of biomass fuels at coal fired power station.
- Co-firing of waste derived fuels at coal fired power station.
- Full conversion of coal fired power plant to biomass.
- Assessment of biomass co-firing potential at coal fired power stations in: Poland, Australia, Spain, Bulgaria, Croatia, UK.
- Milling trials with hammer mills, vertical spindle mills, tube and ball mills.
- Test firing of biomass on numerous coal and biomass fired sites.
- Test firing of modified coal burners for biomass.
- Witnessing various station trials with biofuels.
- Witnessing materials handling trials, milling trials, dust control trials, conveying trials, etc.
- Assessment of biofuels for co-firing in coal fired utility boilers.
- Assessment of biomass fuels for coal replacement.
- Develpment of fuel assessment protocol for coal fired utility boilers.
- Coal assessment for utility boilers.
- Detailed study of chemical and physical properties of second generation biofuel pellets.
- Image analysis of biomass particles.
- Calculation of particle shape factor in 3D from microscope pictures taken from different directions, utilising image analysis.
Combustion and Emission Control
- Milling trials with biomass in hammer mills, vertical spindle mills, tube and ball mills.
- Computer simulation of the limitations in fuel moisture levels imposed by mill inlet air temperature and required mill exit temperature.
- Assessment of mill inertion for biomass trials.
- Test firing of biomass at power station with vertical spindle mills.
- Test firing of biomass at power station with tube and ball mills.
- Test firing of biomass pellets at power station with hammer mills.
- Assessment of primary Low NOx measures.
- Combustion optimisation of gas burner.
- Evaluation of changes in primary air register velocity profile after burner modifications suggested by burner supplier.
- Development of modification concept for Low NOx coal burners for use with biomass.
- Modification and testing of coal burners for use with biomass.
- Development of mill heat balance model for coal mills. The model can also deal with biomass in the mill. (Sample output)
- Development of simulation model for the calculation of maximum explosion pressure (Pmax) in a close vessel,
like the standard explosion test vessels. This model is capable of replicating Pmax data from the expensive standard test. (Sample output)
- Study of modelling parameters for particle combustion in CFD simulation.
- Assessment of CFD biomass combustion modell.
- Risk assessment for trial with wood pellets in hammer mill plant.
- Third party review of risk assessment for single mill trial with coal and biomass.
- Review of safety related technical procedures
- Technical design review of biomass boilers.
- Assessment of hardgrove testing of biomass pellets.
- Trouble shooting of gas fired incinerator for process gas.